Friday, November 27, 2009

Giving back etiquette...on a budget.


I took this picture. And I also felt like a third wheel. S'ok I got free wine!

Now before I go any further I do not know what the rules are when it comes to drinking alcohol at the park so if it's illegal then...don't do it! Hahahaha. Er, I didn't know at the time but I just went with the flow when a gaijin friend invited me to have a chill Sunday at Yoyogi Park.

The only thing I had to pay for were WATER! That was like less than 300 yen for everyone.

I'm not a mooch but I do understand that when you are a guest, people will tend to give you things (ie. free booze, free food, etc). Having said that, it is important that you contribute as well. In a situation like this, I was invited out and I didn't realize we were going to be drinking wine. All I knew was that I was going to be meeting up with a friend and his friend, who I think he might've had a tiny crush on. ;-)

Once I found out he was bringing wine, I offered to get snacks and/or water. The thing with snacks and water is that they are very cheap, depending on what you get. What's most important is that a)they don't taste crappy (meaning they don't have to taste the best either) and b) it fits your budget.

I spent about 400-600 yen for my contribution and it was nice. I can't remember what snacks we had but I know we definitely had wine, good conversation, lots of laughter and nice memories under a tree that Sunday at Yoyogi Park.

No comments: