Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Couchsurfing in Tokyo = Free Lodging

In Tokyo, we have been couchsurfing. Couchsurfing basically means crashing on a person's couch. You stay at the person's place for FREE. If they're gonna make you pay cash, I'd suggest a hostel because couchsurfing should be a free (or barter at least) experience. However, in regards to the genuine and generous hosts, because they are kind and deserve good karma, you should be a good house guest...see tips on how to be a good house guest towards the end of this post.


Our sleeping space at Andrew's

Because it doesn't really cost money, we decided that would be our ideal lodging option. Normally, I would browse through www.couchsurfing.com to find a host but it was hard finding hosts in Tokyo who could host two people. Most of the flats in Tokyo are super tiny. But if you're traveling by yourself, you probably won't have a hard time finding a host through couchsurfing.com. (I've also used it before to host someone in San Francisco and it's pretty cool!)

But we got lucky. My friend Jonathan hooked us up with his friend Andrew who lives in Tokyo! So after staying one night at a hostel (just for the experience), we headed to the trendy area of Ebisu/Daikanyama and are now staying in a Tokyo high rise. The apartment is actually pretty big so hooray! What a hook up! Thanks!

Just want to note though that if you are couchsurfing in Japan, here are some tips to be a good house guest.
  1. Bring a gift. Steph brought him red wine and I brought him some Cuervo.
  2. Cook dinner at least one of the nights for a dinner with your host(s). We are staying here for a total of 7 nights, we've cooked once already and we are cooking tonight for our last night here. It also doesn't hurt to hook the host up with chocolate bars! Mmm!
  3. Be courteous of the area and stay neat. They are doing you a very nice favor by letting you stay in their home.
  4. If you barter, use a skill you know. Steph and I are educated in massage therapy (720 hours from NHI, baby!) and health education so she will give him a professional Thai massage and I will give him a professional Shiatsu massage.
  5. Don't wear your shoes inside the house.

Anyway, it's cool this way because we get to stay with someone who actually knows the area and who could introduce us to other Tokyo peeps. The best part is actually being able to live in a home while you're here. It's like you actually DO live here when you couchsurf!

5 comments:

Willemijn said...

Hi Jan,

Nice blog! We will use your tips during our stay in Tokyo this year (december).

My boyfriend and I are also looking for a place to stay in Tokyo. Hopefully we will find someone, because as you said, it is hard to find someone on couchsurfing.com if you are with two people.

If you know someone who likes to have a couple from Holland for a few day, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Willemijn
willemijnvoorham@gmail.com

la cubana said...

Hi Jan!!!
My name is Eri and i come from Greece. I plan to visit Tokyo for a week (26/2-6/3) and i really liked your blogspot about Tokyo. I also found very interesting the description about the appartment you stayed and i wonder if you can send me Andrew's contact information...
Thank you in advance!
eri
erouka5@hotmail.com

Nike said...

Hello Jan!
I hope you get this i have no idea how long its been since youve been on here but I will be in tokyo for a month this summer! By myself(im a backpacker speaking english learning japanese) can you suggets some people who will let me stay/couchsurf or do you know where to find these people while i am there(where do i look?)? or who to trust?(can i trust anyone who offers, are there certain things that distinguish a not good person)?

Anonymous said...

Wondering if it is too late for this message; however, I'll give it a try. My husband and I are hoping to spend New Year's in Tokyo. It will be a super quick visit (2-3 nights maximum). Reading your message I figure that your couchsurf was a personal reference; however, if you think Andrew would be ok lodging the two of us I would appreciate if you could provide me his info.
We currently live in Canada so... for sure we could do return the favor!!
Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Silvana
aurea_silvana@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Wondering if it is too late for this message; however, I'll give it a try. My husband and I are hoping to spend New Year's in Tokyo. It will be a super quick visit (2-3 nights maximum). Reading your message I figure that your couchsurf was a personal reference; however, if you think Andrew would be ok lodging the two of us I would appreciate if you could provide me his contact info.
We currently live in Canada so... for sure we could do return the favor!!
Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Silvana
aurea_silvana@hotmail.com